In honor of International Women’s Day, I wanted to post something about supporting women-owned businesses on my company’s Instagram, and while I was searching through my camera roll for the perfect photo, I realized that we have a TON of badass, women entrepreneurs in the city! I know this post is a little late in the day to be sharing a roundup of amazing, women-run businesses in the District, but I’m an advocate of shopping small and local all year round, so I figured I’d put one together. Read on for some of my favorite restaurants, retailers, and online boutiques from some major girlbosses.
- Mallory Shelter Jewelry – you’ll find delicate, handmade jewelry that makes a statement at this Union Market pop up. Mallory used to be one of my colleagues (she was actually my boss!) but left Streetsense to pursue her passion and her business has completely exploded. I wear her gold bar studs almost every day and just recently got this silver cuff ring for my birthday. She’s at the market until April 2, but you can shop her collection online at any time and at various retailers like Salt & Sundry and Proper Topper!
- Designs by s.e.K. – another fabulous jeweler, this local artisan specializes in creating pieces with natural minerals and stones. I recently shared my Aspen Drive Necklace in a previous blog post!
- Refine Boutique: You’ve heard me rave about Tanya before, but her carefully curated boutique and specialized shopping experience is truly amazing. I always leave her space feeling confident and with high-quality pieces that I love
- Whistle & Wild: this online shop has become one of my favorite spots for boho-inspired and affordable fashion! You can learn all about the business and the amazing girl boss behind it, Amanda Nelson, in one of my past posts. Psst, they’re offering free shipping today and tomorrow!
- Twin Ray Apparel: one of my former coworkers and total megababe, Cristianna, just launched her own boutique! Think beach babe meets sexpot and you’ve got an amazing, curated collection of items on this online boutique. I recently signed on as one of their brand ambassadors and you can get 10% off with code DAMSEL10!
- Buttercream Bakeshop: how many times have I Instagrammed this adorable, neighborhood bakery? Too many, but I don’t plan on stopping. Owned by pastry chef Tiffany MacIsaac (who is a total doll), the bakery serves up confections beyond your wildest dreams — unicorn bars, anyone?
- Centrolina: owned and run by Chef Amy Brandwein, this City Center restaurant serves up some mean pasta in a cozy and comfortable environment. I went there for New Year’s Eve 2016 and had the loveliest evening. We can’t wait to go back!
- Little Leaf: I dare you to step into this paper and plant store and emerge without purchasing an adorable little succulent. From the team behind Salt & Sundry, this shop is a horticulturist’s dream and definitely worth a visit
- Salt & Sundry: if you don’t know about this home goods retailer, you’re missing out. With two locations, one on 14th Street and one in Union Market, this boutique will make you realize you NEED a pineapple tumbler and you definitely can’t live without one of Sydney Hale’s yummy candles
- The Farm Women’s Market: you may have seen this magical ceiling of dried flowers on my Instagram feed, and this is where that ceiling lives. Located in Bethesda, the market is essentially an indoor farmer’s market and features lovely flower shops, delicious bakeries, and other assorted vendors
One Reply to “Who Run The World? Girls”