The Sunday Scaries are real, and they’re terrible. If you aren’t familiar with the term, it’s a cute name for the intense anxiety that sets in on Sunday afternoons about the impending work week ahead. The Sunday Scaries often keep me up late at night and create this horrible pit in my stomach that makes me question pretty much everything in existence. If it sounds like I’m exaggerating, I’m not! Anxiety is a struggle – even if you mostly have your shit together at work the thought of upcoming events or what you’re wearing the next day can trigger it. (Chelsea Handler had a great piece in InStyle about anxiety, it’s worth a read.)
Since the Sunday Scaries are pretty unbearable, I’ve come up with a few ways to try and beat them. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don’t – but it’s definitely worth giving them a shot if you experience weekend anxiety as well!
Side note: I wore this rose embroidered dress from Zaful out to dinner (see tip #5) to try and cure my Sunday Scaries after our trip to Seaside. You might recognize it from my off the shoulder dress roundup! Embroidery is so in right now and I love that it elevated a silhouette that everyone is wearing to make the piece a bit more memorable. Plus at $20, it’s a major steal.
Tips for combatting Sunday Scaries:
- Cut back on the booze on Saturday: waking up with a hangover is never fun, and the combination of not feeling great mixed with thoughts of “did I do anything stupid last night?” Is definitely not going to make you feel like your best self! Sometimes, my anxiety is so bad when I’m hungover that I make gerald take me on a walk around the neighborhood and tell me that I’m not a waste of space just to make me feel better. (IDK why he puts up with me either)
- Get up and start your day early: I get it, weekends are your time to sleep in, but if you can accomplish grocery shopping and a workout before noon, you’re going to feel so productive and then you have the rest of the day to do whatever you want!
- Get a workout in: Elle Woods was right, working out increases your endorphins and happy people don’t kill their husbands! Just kidding, but getting in a weekend workout will help relieve stress and release those feel good endorphins to help combat the Sunday blues
- Meal prep for the week: there is something SO satisfying about seeing all of those Tupperware containers lined up in your fridge! Meal prepping isn’t just for body builders, to me it’s as simple as making my lunches for the week to take to work. It feels good knowing that getting ready in the morning will go faster and that I’m saving money AND eating healthier during the work week
- Plan something fun: Gerald and I love going to dinner or the movies on Sunday nights. Planning a fun activity takes your mind off the next day and by the time we get home I’m usually so full or tired I konk out. If we don’t go out, I like to make a big dinner for us because we don’t typically eat together during the week
- Clean your house: I bitch about cleaning, but having a tidy apartment helps create a sense of zen for me and I’m always happy I did it afterwards. Plus having a full closest of clean clothes makes getting dressed in the morning easier!
Do you have any tips for combatting the Sunday Scaries? I’d love to hear!
Shop my look: